Saturday, September 4, 2010

One of those weeks...

Well, I knew that sooner or later it would happen. I just didn't expect it to happen this soon. I have been under the weather in a big way all week so we got zip, zero, nada "real" school work done here. I didn't even have the mental energy to pull out some independent stuff for Baker to work on. I was impressed with Baker's initiative. He did a great deal of drawing and Lego building and reading unprompted. Maybe I'll just say that it was an "independent study" week. The beauty of home schooling is that we can make up for it later. He also had the privilege of spending his birthday with my parents so I could go to the dr. and sleep. He built with his new medieval Lego set for hours over there and laughed with my dad and just felt loved on and special. No amount of school hours could ever duplicate that for him and I'm grateful for that relationship.

Anna Marie started at her developmental preschool this week. I still have a lot of mixed feelings about this big change. She is doing well and having a great time - especially outside in the dirt. Who would have thought it of Princess Baby? Her teachers are so precious and understanding that sometimes she needs to be by herself and observe. They are very encouraging. When we picked her up on Friday, one of them told me that he thought she was a bit tired and homesick. That about broke my heart but at the same time I was touched at his thoughtfulness and sympathy for her. I am seeing progress already in some areas. She is seeing a therapist every day in one discipline or another. Combine that with the active day that is focused solely on development of cognitive, social and self-care skills and I know that she is going to blossom in so many areas.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend, my fellow travelers. May God bless your extended family time in new ways. May we all return to the trenches of home schooling refreshed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Noah would love playing with Baker...my son is CRAZY about legos!!!

    I have seen a big difference in my son Zachariah since he started his developmental daycare. He has been going for about 4 months, and I still have mixed feelings about it..especially since I have the others home. I am hoping that this is giving him a good foundation so that someday I will be able to homeschool him. Everyday when I am driving him to school, I wish I could bring him back home with me. Then the Lord gives me the weekend, to remind me how important his daily structure is to him, and I am ready to go into another week of him going. haha Really though, he does well there, and is so happy when I drop him off and when I pick him up, and I know it is good for him.

    I bet she was tired on Friday, she was probably so busy all week :)

    ReplyDelete