Monday, July 12, 2010

File Folder Games

I wish I had explored things like file folder games and such when I was teaching school. They are so fun and a great way to practice skills over and over without the endless printing of worksheets. If you are not familiar with the concept, it's pretty much what it sounds like. Take a regular file folder, glue the activity inside and store the game/activity pieces in an envelope or a pocket. It's best to laminate these so that they will remain durable and usable for many little hands. You can buy books that have games ready to go - cut, glue, laminate and play. They can be pricey but think of them as an investment. Of course, if you troll the web enough you can find almost any kind of resource for free.


One site I found that has free folder games is filefolderfun.com. You will be required to register and get approved but it's not a big deal and you will not get flooded with a bunch of emails. Many of these games are color-rich so I recommend that you make sure you have some printer ink ready. Our printer cartridges are small so I use Staples to print them out. You can download a little program from their site that will convert your documents to a PDF. It's easy to submit the jobs and reasonably priced. I have already made quite a few up (while watching TV, no less) and will be laminating them at Mardel on Wednesday morning.  I'm so excited to have a fun way to reinforce our lessons!

These are great for independent activities that will break up the workbook procession. They will also come in handy on "teacher sick days". I will be putting these in work boxes, for sure! Have fun with these!

No comments:

Post a Comment